Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day 2: My Battle Plan

Well, it’s actually my doctors’s battle plan. He passed it along to me, and I signed on. Here are the basics

  • Keep a food diary. (I’ve never been gdiabetes buttonsood at this, but this is war.)
  • 30 minutes of exercise every day without fail. (Living in Colorado makes this one easy. We have hiking trails everywhere.)
  • Get outside every day, regardless of the weather. (See above.)
  • Plan menus 30 days in advance. (I really don’t like this one, but I’ll do it. I’ve already had several false starts, but maybe tomorrow…)
  • Follow a dairy-free, soy-free, corn-free, gluten-free diet. (I only have a problem with the soy-free stipulation, since I eat little meat and rely on soy for protein. But beans and rice work for me, so I can do this.)
  • Get enough sleep. (Always a problem for me. I don’t sleep well and never have.)
  • Supplements: a bunch of stuff I already take, including fish oil, Vitamin D, B-complex and lots of other vitamins and minerals, and a new one, Probiotic.

My doctor did make one mistake: he underestimated me. He told me to spend the next two months planning all this out and then get started on the program after the holidays. I’m sure he thought that made sense, but not to me. Hey, if this is war, it starts now.

Today’s fasting glucose reading: 155

No comments: